Sunday, June 14, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!

My Dad would be turning 85 years old today on this Flag Day.
He died way to early, and suddenly, of a heart attack at age 57.
He thought he was just feeling ill, and went on to work his normal Tuesday night midnight shift at Ford Motor Company. It would be his last shift, and he wouldn't finish it. He didn't know he was in the midst of a fatal heart attack, as the symptoms of nausea and shortness of breath were easy for him to dismiss, and he did. He went on to work, hoping to feel better, but only became sicker, and by the time he made his way down the the Nurses station, it was too late.
We didn't get the chance to say good bye......I had intended to call him that evening, but put it off til tomorrow. I ended up being restless that night and couldn't sleep. I woke up and went into my daughters room (who was just a baby) and slept on the floor. I had such a feeling of uneasiness. I finally fell to sleep when the phone rang w/ that fateful news in the middle of the night. The devastating news that would forever change my life. I had intended to call my Dad that evening....but put it off. I regret it to this day.
If you've got something to say to someone you love and care about.....please, please don't put it off. There may not be tomorrow.
Happy Birthday Dad. I wish you could have lived long enough to see your grandchildren. I know you would have gotten so much joy from them, and you would have been so important to them, and to me.

9 comments:

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Happy Birthday to Daddy Dogpatch! I'm sure he's celebratin' in Heaven today.
He can also see what wonderful grandbabies he has from up there too. :> )
~Peanut

Holly Hills Primitives said...

You are SO right. My dad had a stroke about a month ago and it can change your life forever. Happy Birthday to your dad! Dawn

Briar Rabbit Primitives said...

Happy Birthday to your Dear Dad, Patty. What a great picture of him! I'm so sorry you didn't get to tell him goodbye. Sending you a Hug, Dear Friend. Starla

Cookie said...

what a wonderful tribute, buddy.
I'm not sure if we've talked about this before, but I'm thinking not - because I lost my dad to a massive heart attack too! It was very hard not being able to say goodbye - we were always so close, I was his "shuggy bell" ♥
Just hang onto what you know if your heart - Your dad always knew the love you held in your heart for him and felt how much you treasured, revered and respected him.

My heart is with you, Patty.

Tallowberry Primitives and FolkArt said...

I'm so sorry you didn't get to say that final "Good-Bye" to your Dad, Patty. I think parents know how very important they are to their kids. I'm sure he's looking down from heaven and is very proud of each child and grandchild.

Hugs to each of you~Diane

bayrayschild said...

Patty, I loved your tribute to your Dad on his birthday.
It sure brought tears to my eyes as I think of my own Dad and his departure from this earth.

Big Hugs Sister,
Audrey

Anonymous said...

HI my sweets... I missed Dads Bday! I know you miss him much. Oh, don't think for a minute he doesn't know his Grandchildren... I am sure he does... Hugs, MO

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday to your Dear Dad Patty. My heart aches that you didn't get to say goodbye, but the very Best Part is that you will get to see him again someday in Heaven.

Big Hugs,
Tink

Jennifer said...

Oh Patty your Dad would have been so proud of you! I am sure he smiled down from Heaven at you everyday! Big hugs to you...
Jen