Friday, October 5, 2012

The Gift


I truly thought the gift was for him.....


This is Troy, a 10 yr old black Lab/Retriever mix found wandering the streets of a suburb of Detroit. He ended up at a local pound where I had been walking the dogs.

I don't know who could throw him away, he is so beautiful and gentle. He also has cancer, in the form of a relentless tumor on his jaw that is growing by the day. I will never understand how he ended up at the pound.

I adopted Troy on August 21, and my life has not been the same. I only adopted him to keep him from being put down by the men in uniforms. I wanted better for this boy. I only intended to take him to my vet for humane euthanasia.
 It wasn't so simple.

I ended up bringing him home w/ me for hospice care. The oncologist said it is melanoma. His days are very numbered and the time to take him for his journey to The Rainbow Bridge is drawing near as the monster is on a mission. The cancerous tissue that was once contained to one one side, is now appearing on the other side of his gums.



I now realize the gift is mine to embrace.

Thank you Troy for giving me the honor of spending your last days w you.

Troy has his own Facebook page. Follow along on the journey of this remarkable pound puppy if you are so inclined.





6 comments:

Carol Roll said...

Patty this gentle fella is so beautiful and so are you to take him in and give him last days full of kindess and love. I can see he has captured your heart.

Primitive Stars said...

Hello, you are my hero, you are such a good person to take in that throwaway that only wanted to be loved. He is so so beautiful, I'm so happy he has you to comfort him and give all the love you have.my tears are happy tears for he is loved till he reaches the rainbow bridge, you are an angel. Blessings Francine

Theresa said...

What a big heart you have for helping this sweet dog. He has such a wise loving face. My his journey over the rainbow bridge be peaceful.

Mad Red Hare said...

Bless you for taking this beautiful soul to love until he leaves this earth.

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Snugglebug Blessings said...

You have been given a great honor to walk with him through his last days. We finally put our Rottie down a few months ago as she was suffering from cancer and could barely walk. It was heartbreaking but so honored to have that amazing dog in my life for so long. I am glad you were willing to give him the best last days on earth he could ever have. I wish more people felt the same way about these amazing creatures. God bless you and this sweet dog. Cathy